Star Trek Characters – Hero Forge and Grym Forge

I have bought and painted most of the miniatures that are available from Modiphius and other sources, but the Players in my Star Trek Adventures campaign have managed to come up with some characters that just don’t have a miniature available. Oqwadel, our female Aurelian Chief of Security is a good example of this. The Aurelian’s are described in the Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook.

After searching unsuccessfully for a miniature that would work, I decided to try and design one on Hero Forge. For those that aren’t familiar with it, it’s a website that allows you to design your own custom miniatures for 3D printing.

I spent some time playing around with the website, which is reasonably easy to figure out, and came up with two designs for Oqwadel that I liked, one with a skirt and one with pants.

Once you are happy with the design of your character, you can have Hero Forge do the printing and ship to you, or you can purchase the STL files for $7.99 US for a standard size mini and do the printing yourself or at another service. The prices range from $19.99 US for acrylic plastic resin printed at 100 micron layer thickness coated with gray primer to up to $99.99 if you want them printed in Bronze.

I choose to use a local company, Grym Forge, which will print them off for $7.00 CAN. I was also able to go pick them up myself and save on shipping. Just order a 28mm Mini Figure, then follow the instructions to send them your STL file. These are printed in resin but I’m not sure what thickness the layers are. I can say I was quite happy with the way they turned out.

I gave them a coat of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer in Light Grey and went to work with Vallejo Model Color paints.

Here they are next to one of the Modiphius Miniatures. I later discovered the setting in Hero Forge that would have let me make the miniatures taller, so at some point I may redo one of them to increase the size to be closer to the others. I might try adding a mohawk as well to closer match the illustration from the book.

Added a dark wash, which went on a little too thick, and painted the bases.

Did a little touching up to fix where the dark wash went on too heavy, and invested in a cheap little photo booth to help with some of the pictures.

Taking her place with the growing Crew Roster

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *